July 9, 2020: Three awards were given in the Electrical Energy Storage category of the annual Smarter E awards in a ceremony that this year had to be held online, on June 30. The three winners in this seventh year of the awards were Fenecon, Webasto and ZnR Batteries.
German firm Fenecon won for its Fenecon Industrial Storage System, a plug-and-play container that uses software to enable the use of industrial and grid applications.
It is optimized for mobile BEV batteries, which can be new or second life.
“The jury was impressed with this well thought-out system approach that creates a platform for intelligently integrating zero life or second life automotive batteries, taking advantage of the automotive industry’s sale and addressing end-of-life EV battery challenges,” said Smarter E.
Also from Germany, Webasto won the award for its CV standard battery system, an off-the-shelf plug-and-play traction battery for commercial vehicles.
“The jury awarded this product for its scalability, its possibly wide application in diverse vehicles and its ability to retrofit existing vehicles with minimal costs, while providing battery systems to vehicle manufacturers,” the organizers said.
The final EES award went to ZnR Batteries, the zinc-air battery subsidiary of French energy group EDF, for its rechargeable Zinium battery, which contains zinc-air cells made of components that are submerged in an aqueous electrolyte called Zinolyte.
This makes the battery rechargeable, using ambient air to function while the battery absorbs and releases oxygen as it charges and discharges. Containing manganese and calcium, the battery does not use rare earths or precious metals and will target residential, commercial and industrial energy storage markets with lower entry barriers.
The other seven finalists were:
• Ads-tec Energy, Germany — Mobile High Power Charger, a temporary moveable high-speed EV charging station
• BayWa r.e., Germany — Hybrid storage system with AC/DC e-mobility charging infrastructure
• BYD, China — Battery Box Premium storage device
• Instagrid, Germany — Instagrid PBS portable storage solution for devices that need a grid connection
• LG Chem, South Korea — New RESU Modular domestic storage system
• Pylon Technologies, China — Powercube H1 high-voltage storage system
• Volytica Diagnostics, Germany — A battery diagnostics system.
Smarter E is Europe’s largest energy conference and exhibition provider, uniting Intersolar, EES, Power2Drive and EM-Power under one umbrella of events.